Friday, February 10, 2012

Turkey Spinach Pinwheels

Basically anything yummy rolled in a tortilla and then sliced makes a pinwheel, so the possibilities are endless.  I was making pinwheels for myself long before the little guy came along.

Turkey Spinach Pinwheels

1 tortilla
3 tbsp hummus
thin sliced turkey breast
fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
1-2 tbsp shredded cheese or a thin slice of cheese

Spread a thin layer of hummus on a tortilla (about 3 tablespoons). Add a thin layer each of turkey, spinach and cheese.  You don't want it to be too bulky, or else the pinwheels will be too large for baby to eat.  Roll it up, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and store in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, if possible - the pinwheels keep their shape better this way.  When ready to serve, unwrap it and slice in sizes that baby can handle.  I usually make 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices.

When I'm feeling super health conscious, I use organic deli meat that doesn't have any preservatives (i.e. nitrates or nitrites).  But sometimes I buy the regular deli meat and I feel that every now and then, that's fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment